Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Grandpa's Family


This picture is 4 years old, but it's our most recent family picture with my mom's whole side of the family. Actually, this family wouldn't be possible without the love and commitment from one family member not pictured here.

Grandpa Lyttle passed away 11 years ago today. I was 12 years old. It was July, and my family had just been down to visit around the 4th of July.

Within weeks after returning home after a great week at Grandma and Grandpa's house, I remember my mom listening to a message on our answering machine that explained Grandpa was in the hospital. I wasn't sure what a brain aneurysm was, but noticing my mom's tears, I knew it wasn't good. He passed away in the hospital, and our family traveled back down to Maryland to celebrate the life God gave my grandpa.

I don't remember much about the funeral, but I do remember my aunt trying to put her eye contact back in after it fell out from her crying! I also remember a woman singing "His Eye is on the Sparrow" and I remember some men carrying the casket down the aisle of the church past our family.

I also remember being told that each of us grandkids could pick one flower from the many arrangements to take with us. I chose an orange gerber daisy - it seemed so cheerful, and now I always think of Grandpa when I see orange gerber daisies.

I'm planning to pick up an orange gerber daisy on my way to work today. As a simple reminder of Grandpa Lyttle and the wonderful part he had in my family.

  • I remember making homemade ice cream at his house and having ice cream eating contests with my cousins, aunts, and uncles - no hands allowed!
  • I remember playing house in his camper with my cousins and sisters.
  • I remember him teaching me to water ski behind his boat and going to Blue Knob to downhill ski in the winter.
  • I remember him coming to visit at our house - and always bringing donuts..or maybe that was more Grandma's idea!
  • I can remember his deep laugh and his gentle, loving voice.
  • I remember how he used the words "Thee" and "Thy" in his prayers before meals, and it always made me realize the importance God had in his life.
  • I remember his sense of adventure and all his cool cars.
  • I remember being at his house for his birthday one year when he got a music CD as a gift. He took me out to his car in the garage, and he opened the car sunroof as we sat and listened to the songs together.
  • I remember his generosity and love for people.
  • I remember his nicknames for me and my sisters - Cuter than Me, Prettier than Me, and Sweeter than Me. I'm pretty sure I was "Sweeter than Me" and can remember him using those from time to time.
  • I can remember the last words he said to me as my family headed home after a week at his house, "Laura, there's so much we didn't get to do this time, but there's always next time!"
There never was a "next time" with Grandpa, but that's okay. He made the most of his time here, so we made plenty of memories in those 12 years together. And because of his love and commitment to God and his family, his 12 grandkids and their families continue to love and support each other, and I will thank God for that as I glance at my cheerful orange gerber daisy!

No comments:

Post a Comment