Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Activities


Easter weekend was a lot of fun this year! Growing up, we were usually on the road to Myrtle Beach on Easter Sunday, eating a grand Easter lunch at McDonald's! When it comes to Easter, we don't have many family traditions, so we were a little creative this year.

Julie was home from college for the weekend, and Nate unexpectedly had a couple days off. We had dinner with my parents on Friday night, and then went to the Good Friday service at their church. After our raspberry pie for dessert back home, we had a family Easter egg coloring contest! We used all sorts of craft supplies and had 30 minutes to decorate our eggs. We Skyped Amy in to be our judge, and then Mom had 5 colorful eggs to decorate the house with!


While our family tends to bake and decorate sugar cookies for every other holiday, Easter is not on the list. However, this year I bought some new spring cookie cutters, so we decorated tulips, bunnies, ducks, butterflies, eggs, and other shapes on Saturday! It was a typical Tischer activity, and the spring cookies were a hit with the family and friends we shared them with!

Sunday morning we went to church. My church had an early service at 8am to sing hymns and reflect on Scripture. Before going, I was trying to think of what songs you sing on Easter. As Nate boldly sang out, "Up from the grave He arose!" during the morning service, I reflected on life of Christ, thankful that, "Christ Jesus lives today!" Our regular service that morning brought joy as I was reminded of all we have to celebrate in Christ.

My parents invited a friend from their church over for Easter lunch. We had the best ham I think I've ever had! It had some sort of cinnamon glaze on top - definitely have to keep that in mind for future hams! Then my parents surprised us by preparing an Easter egg hunt. Yes - an Easter egg hunt for three 20-year-olds! For some reason, spotting a purple plastic egg in the bushes still brings such a thrill!

Eventually I headed over to Nate's house since he had some extended family in town. I had brought the Easter eggs up that I had found I my house with intentions of sharing the candy inside them. Instead, Nate's brother ended up hiding them outside for all the "kids" to search for! I told you - this Easter weekend was just a lot of fun!

Easter is a wonderful time to think about the cross and the hope Christ offers through what He accomplished there. It was fun to celebrate this holiday in memorable ways this year!

And just for fun - Dad's decorated egg!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your exciting weekend. Very nice pictures, too.
    So long for now.
    DT

    ReplyDelete