Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Trip to the Hospital


I've been traveling to Rochester every other weekend for the past two months. I thought my next trip wouldn't be until September, but when my parents said they were traveling to Rochester to visit my grandpa in the hospital last weekend, I decided to join them.

Grandpa is a retired teacher, but he is still very active. He can often be found painting houses. Last Thursday he was outside painting on a ladder. The ladder slipped, and he fell 12 feet to the concrete ground! He was taken to a hospital in Rochester where they did surgery on his wrist. The x-rays pictured above show some screws, pins, and a plate that now hold his wrist together. We're thankful that his wrist was the only major injury!

My parents and I drove up to my grandparents' house Friday night to see how Grandma was doing. The next morning we took her to the hospital to visit Grandpa. He was sitting up and eating breakfast when we arrived - his first solid food since Thursday morning! We was in good spirits, and his pain had gone down to a 5 (it had been at a 15 out of 10!). Grandpa rested most of the day, and we were able to talk with him and make him more comfortable.

Grandpa kept making comments about how he had such a great family, and I know we all appreciate being part of his family! When Grandma was out of the room, he was asking how she was doing. He was the one dealing with a broken wrist, but he was still concerned for Grandma! We assured him that even though she was tired, she understood that everything happens for a reason, and she was ready to take it one day at a time as Grandpa heals.

I loved watching the interaction between my grandparents during this time. There was so much love and care shown on both ends, and they were both concerned for the other's needs. Other relatives took shifts at the hospital too, and we received word on Monday that Grandpa was home from the hospital!

It will take some time for his wrist to heal and the cast to be removed, but I'm glad we were able to visit Grandpa in the hospital and provide some encouragement - I know he would do the same for me!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Laura. We are continuing to do well. Our schedule is very simple..up,bath,eat,bathroom,walk,medication,nap,move to different chair,watch a bit of TV,etc.
    We did 3 walks around our street circle yesterday. Today we went to the end of the street. After it gets cooler outside, we'll walk again before bedtime.
    98 outside, 77 inside today!
    Love to you, Grandma T

    ReplyDelete