Friday, August 31, 2012

21 Leslie Ave

Nate and I are continuing to work at the new house in Conklin. Little by little we keep finding more to do, but we've definitely made some progress! We're typically over at the house three days a week - sometimes together, sometimes on our own or with other friends, sometimes just to eat dinner together. It's a very active neighborhood with people on bikes, taking walks, and walking dogs. Nate and I have gone running and rollerblading around the streets, and I appreciate the flat roads - and many are newly paved!


The major cleaning started in the kitchen - see above for before and after! Now that the mold in the main house is under control, we're focusing on the apartment - cleaning, painting, and hoping to have it move-in ready for this fall. While I have focused on the cleaning, Nate has tackled the plumbing and the more major projects around the house. We make a good team!
 Speaking of major projects..Nate used an excavator the other day to dig by the foundation on the side of the house. Some of the blocks needed to be repaired, and he dug a nice hole to access the problem blocks. While he was at it he ripped out some bushes, a cement pad, and an ugly awning in front of the house - I think he was having a little too much fun with this toy!
 I actually got my turn on the excavator too! Before Nate ripped down the awning, I convinced him to wait a minute so I could save the plants that were in front of it! I dug five holes with this machine and replanted the hostas from the awning area to the front of the house. I think every gardener should dig their holes with one of these!
We've had some friends over helping at the house too! Our friend, Ryan, from church is over quite a bit to give advice, and Nate's cousin, Chad, has been helping with plumbing, Nate's dad has been over painting, and my parents have helped clean and do yard work. Scoty and Katie, two of my friends from college, were over cleaning the apartment recently. And my sisters helped out when they were in town. Kristen and I snapped a picture together after bleaching the apartment bathroom, and if you ever come to help at the house, you can plan on a trip to Nirchi's for pizza or Pop's Sugar Shack for ice cream - one of Sara's favorites - she was a big help painting the apartment kitchen!

We have appreciated so much help from family and friends!
Nate has put his masoney skills to work, and I've tackled mowing the lawn!
 We've definitely been learning a lot as we work on this house together! We are excited to continue making it our own, and look forward to moving in after our wedding in March!

1 comment:

  1. Are you laying all those rocks down again for a patio? DT

    ReplyDelete