Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Reading and Learning Together

For the past three years I've had a goal to read a certain number of books each year. I enjoy reading when I have the time, and many times the books I read prompt a lot of thought and discussion.

Nate on the other hand is not a reader. When he says, "I read today," that means he was reading the Bible - pretty much the only book he reads.

When I was thinking of new and different activities Nate and I could do together, I thought books would be good to bring up new conversations and topics to discuss that interested us. However, I knew Nate would probably not read a book on his own, so I suggested we read together. He was up for my latest idea, and we actually picked two books to start with.

Two of my professors had recently written a book on money and marriage. I had been given a copy, and Nate and I started reading Cheap Love. Nate admits he tries to live cheap, so I figured he'd appreciate the insight Erv and Carrie Starr have to share.

Cheap Love goes through Erv and Carrie's dating years, wedding, honeymoon, and first ten years of marriage with children, house hunting, and other decisions they have to make along the way. The book is a reminder to make wise financial decisions, but still generously love those around you!

We recently finished this book and will continue to read our other book. Reading brings some focus to our time together and opens up good discussion. Cheap Love offered some tips as Nate and I look to our future and even now as we look to spend our time and money well. I think this book gave Nate confidence to continue his cheap lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment