Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My First Home-ec Lesson


In honor of Miss Barney's birthday, I decided I would share more about my time in her classroom during my recent trip to Texas.

Hannah mentioned that I could teach a lesson to her first graders while I was down visiting. I thought it would be fun to do a home-ec lesson!

I started off by asking the kids about chocolate chip cookies. I put on my apron and asked if they ever baked cookies with their mom. I showed them measuring cups and spoons, and they told me what ingredients you need to make chocolate chip cookies. I then transitioned to talk about what we were going to make that day - pudding! After you measure out ingredients, they combine, and I tried to explain the reaction that occurs to make instant pudding. Each student got a zip lock bag to put their pudding powder and milk in. Then they mushed it up in the bag until it was pudding-like. Then the fun part came - we cut a hole in one corner so they could eat the pudding straight from the bag! It was fun, and we only had one bag pop!

Afterwards I had students coming up and asking about chocolate chip cookies - they thought we were going to make those next!

It was fun to spend time in the classroom, and now I have some home-ec teacher experience ; )

1 comment:

  1. It is great to have you back. You took quite a long recess from your Blog. Keep them coming. We enjoy them....and love you. Grandma T

    ReplyDelete