Saturday, December 17, 2011

Breaking in the Kitchen


Here's a look at our new kitchen. And that pile of pots and pans means we have been putting it to good use!

I picked out a handful of new recipes to try for my birthday. Mom started working on things in the morning, and the meal turned into a three-person morning activity! Mom was working on three recipes at once, trying to coordinate each one with the others. Dad stepped in to help, but I continued to hear, "Oh shoot!" come from Mom's mouth on occasion - what was going on in that kitchen?! I decided to keep my distance and hoped to be pleasantly surprised when it was time to eat.

My sister, Julie, wandered through the kitchen, and Mom pulled her into the mix! Julie became in charge of grating the cheese...lots and lots of cheese!! I picked out buffalo chicken grilled cheese and Dinosaur BBQ's mac 'n cheese for my lunch. I could have continued the theme and asked for cheesecake, but I requested fruit flan for dessert.

After an overflow on the stove, a few substituted ingredients, and an exhausted cook, we sat down to a very tasty meal!

Nate was able to join us for lunch, and after we ate, we tried another new recipe - eggnog cookies. Nate has not been able to stop talking about eggnog since he started thinking about Christmas, so I figured he would love these! Our time in the kitchen had a few interesting moments as well, but the cookies turned out yummy!

We certainly put our new kitchen to good use today! Notice the lower cabinets, dishwasher, and counter tops in that picture! With just a few details left to take care of in the kitchen, Mom is looking forward to a break on the house project until after Christmas. I'm sure she'll do plenty more cooking and baking with her "time off" and enjoy her new kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment