Thursday, February 23, 2012

Destination: Texas


My friend, Hannah, moved to Texas after graduating from college. We went to high school together, and stayed in touch even though we went to rival schools for college! As I helped her pack up to move to Texas, we were already making plans for when I could come visit!

I recently took some time off work, and headed down to Dallas, Texas for a long weekend with Hannah. She teaches first grade and had Monday off for President's Day, so we had a lot of time together. We kept pretty busy, but also enjoyed time just talking and catching up - here's a quick recap:

  • We made dinner together the night I arrived, and she showed me her apartment complex.
  • I slept-in on Friday while Hannah went to school. I joined her for lunch and then taught her first graders a home ec lesson!
  • Hannah's boyfriend, Landry, joined us for a yummy meal at a Mexican restaurant.
  • We went to a cultural night at Landry's school and watched the dance Hannah's roommate performed.
  • We put on our flannel and plaid and headed to Billy Bob's for some bull riding! We also stumbled upon some barrel racing and cowboys lassoing baby bulls later that night.
  • Saturday morning we baked some breakfast cookies and relaxed.
  • My cousin, Katie, picked me up for lunch, and we spent the afternoon together.
  • Katie and I rode a free trolley through the downtown area, and then she gave me a tour of her campus. We also skyped with our other cousin, Bridget, that afternoon.
  • Hannah and I made a shrimp dish for dinner, and then watched a movie.
  • We went to church Sunday morning, and then went rock climbing!
  • We skyped a friend of ours and then ate dinner at another Mexican place.
  • Hannah took me to the trail she goes running on [although after rock climbing we had no energy for a run!] and we walked down to watch the sunset. Then we got frozen yogurt!
  • We went to Landry's apartment that night and played Chinese checkers. He's a med student, so we also got a little biology lesson!
  • Monday morning we went downtown to the Farmer's Market and got some fresh fruits and veggies. It was very colorful and they gave us a lot of delicious samples!
  • We also went to Fountain Place downtown that has 172 fountains to enjoy!
  • Then it was time to catch my 4pm flight back home...I'll have to save that adventure for another post!
Overall, it was a full trip, and I'm glad I had the chance to go. I enjoyed seeing where Hannah lives and spending time in her classroom. Even though these miles separate us, we still share laughs and tears, and our friendship has continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment