Monday, August 16, 2010

The Underground Railroad


I just finished another Trailblazer book - this one goes along with another one of my goals. I want to read atleast 5 books on the Underground Railroad. My senior year of high school, I wrote a paper on Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. Since then, I have been interested to learn more about this topic.

Listen for the Whippoorwill is about a made-up slave girl, Rosebud, and her family. Though the family is made up, Harriet Tubman and the route they took north to freedom was not. They hid in people's houses, rode on the bottom side of a wagon, and hide in a swamp at night, all to make it to Canada - a place of freedom.

The book did not go into too much detail about Harriet, but it did talk about the scar on her forehead and the dizzy spells she faced the rest of her life from a brick being thrown at her. She lived into her 90's, helping others even at the end of her life. She was able to see the 13th Amendment come about, ending slavery. I think Harriet Tubman's courage and tactics are to be commended. I am looking forward to reading more about this figure in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment