Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A LOVEly Night


"Don't buy me flowers today." This was part of the conversation I had with Nate the morning of Valentine's Day. I am going out of town and would have only enjoyed the flowers for one day before leaving - not worth it! I also told him he was not allowed to by me a stuffed teddy bear either [an elephant maybe, but not a teddy bear!].

With me going out of town, and Nate and I celebrating 6 months of dating next week, we didn't make any big plans for Valentine's Day. I had to work until 6:00, and Nate had the day off, so he agreed to make dinner for me.

I laughed on my way up to his house, just picturing him in the kitchen preparing for this meal, and I was very impressed when I walked in the kitchen to find he had used the crockpot - he knows what I love! He had picked out a chicken, rice, and veggie casserole dish and added some of his own variations. He went grocery shopping and even found the bullion cubes! He also made banana bread and another side dish. He had red plates, red napkins, and some red candles - very festive!

Knowing we weren't doing anything big for Valentine's Day, we didn't buy each other gifts. But I still wanted to give Nate something to make the day memorable. I chose my top 14 favorite times with him [in honor of February 14th!] and attempted to draw pictures of each occasion on index cards. I gave him the stack, and he had to guess what each picture represented. He enjoyed remembering back to many of the things we have done together, and the back of the index card had details and the date. We laughed at my drawings and smiled as we looked back at these 14 highlights.

We had also decided to write each other silly love poems - just for something goofy! Nate read his to me first, and it was hysterical! I don't know that I have ever laughed to the point of tears, but I can't say that any more! His poem started out rhyming and then was full of comical alliterations - I was impressed! His poem puts mine to shame, but I read it to him anyways. We laughed about that one too, and I think this might have to become a Valentine's Day tradition!

After lots of laughter, we headed back to the kitchen to make some raspberry love smoothies! I had brought frozen raspberries, orange juice, and raspberry sherbet - and fun straws! Our smoothies were yummy and another fun way to celebrate Valentine's Day. Nate had also made chocolate covered strawberries for dessert - he worked hard in that kitchen all day!

It was simply a fun night of laughing together and celebrating Valentine's Day without roses, stuffed bears, heart balloons, or a fancy night out. Maybe we won't wait another 365 days to celebrate again!

No comments:

Post a Comment