Sunday, March 13, 2011

Celebrating 50

SURPRISE!!! My parents both turn 50 this month, so my sisters and I planned a surprise party for their family and friends. We had the idea for a while and really started planning in December - over text messages - on the way back from Christmas with relatives - with my parents in the car!! With Amy in Philly, Julie in Pittsburgh, and myself in Rochester, we used e-mail, texting, phone calls, and other technology to plan the invitations, food, decorations, and the surprise!

Julie was home for the week on her Spring Break, and I was home for the weekend for a work event. While I was spending time with a friend on Saturday (baking for the party!), Julie took my parents to the mall to show them what she wanted for her birthday. That's when Amy pulled into town. I joined soon after with desserts, all the fixings for punch, and more! Guests started arriving, and we were anxious for the big surprise!

Julie texted with the 7 minute warning, and we all gathered in the kitchen. My dad walked in first and just looked so confused! My mom joined him and got teary eyed as she began recognizing faces that had driven from out of town to celebrate with her. We spent the afternoon eating food, catching up with family and friends, and sharing memories of my parents.

It was great to celebrate with my parents and set aside a day special for them. My mom is still saying, "I can't believe..." This will be a birthday to remember for years to come!

3 comments:

  1. You ladies did a great job… thanks for letting us be a part. rr

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special time. I am still taking it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! what a special way to honor your parents! We love you Tischers!
    Love, Evie (and the boys)

    ReplyDelete