Friday, March 4, 2011

Reading While Experiencing

My friend, Jordan, let me borrow a book recently, and I was able to finish it on my Ecuador trip, which was perfect given the topic of the book! It's called Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Elliot - Jim Elliot's wife. The book talked about Jim's experiences getting involved with Mission Aviation Fellowship and his desire to reach the Auca (now called Waodani) in the jungles of Ecuador. I read about his trip to Guayaquil, then to Quito, and eventually Shell - which is the route our team took as well! The book contained many of the letters Jim wrote to his family and Elisabeth during his time in college and transitioning to Ecuador. It also had journal entries from him. It was neat to read about what we were experiencing!

Above is a picture of me with a Waodani women. We were able to take a little plane into the jungle - just like Jim Elliot would have. Because of his work back in the 50's, and Elisabeth's continued committment after her husband's death, the village we visited contains mostly believers! During my time in Ecuador, it was so neat to gain a better understanding and appreciation for Jim Elliot's and the other missionaries' work.

No comments:

Post a Comment