Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Whose Approval?


In recent years, my life has become slightly less complicated. I simply learned the difference between being a people-pleaser and doing what I really want to do. It was a tough lesson to learn, but once I understood the freedom that came when I embraced the different mindset, I grew more as an individual and learned more about myself.

Much of this started when I began my journey at Roberts. I was very unsure of myself and what I really enjoyed doing. I mostly did the activities that others were doing, whether I truly enjoyed them or not. The end of sophomore year came around, and I had to decide between a handful of leadership positions, classes, and campus activities. I had the people-pleaser mindset, but knew I had to say no to some of the options on my list. How was I going to make those decisions? Easy - ask everyone around me what to do! ...BAD IDEA! I got so confused about what I really wanted for myself after too many people's opinions were floating in my head. What a mess that was! Junior year, I kind of took time for myself and discovered what I really enjoyed doing. It was great! I went to concerts that I enjoyed, I read books for fun, I took interesting classes, and took a backseat when it came to leadership on campus. I enjoyed discovering what I liked to do! Senior year came around, and I had the confidence I needed to make decisions based on what I wanted instead of trying to please everyone around me - what a difference that makes!

All of this brings me to think about a verse in Galatians 1:10, "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ."

I needed to learn that man's approval is not the most important thing. I am ultimately a servant of Christ and need to be living a life pleasing to Him. I think He would want me living a life that I enjoy, not stressing about the opinions of others. I challenge you to think about who you are striving to please!

1 comment:

  1. Laura - I have this verse posted right on my computer!! This is a wonderful entry and I'm so thankful for all of the growth you've gone through during your time at RWC!! Keep on because you've got many talents to share with the world! J

    ReplyDelete