Friday, November 4, 2011

It's Okay to Cry


It has been an emotional week. I had been doing okay with the flood up until a couple weeks ago, and then I cried for the first time since May. I cried again twice this week.

I used to be a crier. I think I get it from my mom. Things hit me pretty hard emotionally. After going into the hospital for mental health issues two years ago, my crying has not been as often. In fact, I started to view crying as a sign that something was wrong. I would call my doctor right away with hopes of straightening things out. That first year after the hospitalization, I think I only cried twice. I didn't like it. Something was missing. Something that used to be so "Laura" was now gone.

I asked my doctor about my lack of tears. Was the medicine preventing me from crying? He was not concerned, and I simply started being thankful for the fact that my life circumstances were going so well that I had nothing to cry about.

These past two years I've seen crying as I huge warning sign, but now I am trying to see it as a normal emotion, understanding that it is healthy if it does not get out of hand. I think crying and those emotions of frustration and sadness that go along with it are okay as you respond to it appropriately. What do you do with all of those emotions? Does it lead to anger? Or do you process through what is really bothering you at the time with hopes of changing something for the better.

Sometimes it takes me coming to tears to realize I need something. I need to talk. I need a hug. I need encouragement. I don't realize how worn out I've become until I reach the point of tears. In that moment, I cannot be afraid to ask for help. Simply expressing those emotions brings others to surround you with the love you need to carry on. How would they ever know you were hurting unless you express it? It's so hard to ask for help, so sometimes our tears will do that work for us.

I cried this week and clued others in that I was hurting. I was met with encouraging messages, helpful conversations on Facebook, texting, and the phone, two unplanned visits with friends, and love that allowed my day to end in laughter, not in tears.

After two years of tears being a sign that something must be wrong, I am slowly coming back to the place where I've realized to appreciate my tears and respond to them appropriately, realizing again that it's okay to cry.

5 comments:

  1. Laura, thank you for your transparency. I've had depression in the past and I've come to believe that tears are God's way of helping us heal emotionally. It's healthy, I think, as long as it gets what we're feeling out and that it leads us to the the true Healer, Christ. Christ also gave us the body of Christ to physically/emotionally encourage us to help us to heal and deal with our sadness and pain, so it's ok to cry and let others love you! Even the "healthiest" of people would be overwhelmed if they endured what you have the past few months! You are a God-send to me at Life Choices...I truly couldn't do my job without you! I will be praying for you, and let me know if you ever need anything. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I am so happy you were able to cry! As you said, crying is such a natural way to express emotion (especially for us Tischer girls!). I think it can help clue us in to things we didn't even know we were feeling. Your thoughts on crying cluing other people in to come along side and support us is beautiful as well. I'm so glad you were able to be real with people and allow them to comfort you! I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of tears :) Glad that you're becoming friends again with them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Laura,
    Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. You free others to state their problems, too. That's what the Body of Christ is for.
    Please call if you want to chat.
    Love you so much!!!!!
    Gram T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your post! I've always had a hard time crying partly because as a young child my older brothers thought it was babyish to cry, (and also the women I've known in my family tend to not express emotions much). And I wasn't a baby, so I tried to prove them wrong, thus holding it all in. I hardly ever cried after that as I was growing up, especially not in front of anyone, but when you are alone crying, you feel isolated and that didn't feel good either. After I started dating I learned that it felt good to cry with someone and to be "held" and it felt good. I still have a hard time crying in front of people. I'm so used to hiding my emotions. Sometimes it seems like I don't even know "how" to be emotional even in a good sense... just seems so foreign to me. When I went through a hard time with a break-up of my own and came to terms with my parents divorce, I carried on, not letting it affect me much trying to move on... but two months later it hit me and hit me hard, I was an emotional wreck, realizing I needed others, and didn't have many to turn to. It was a long bumpy road, but I made it through. So I thank you for sharing your thoughts on crying and being transparent. I admire you :o) Hang in there, things will get easier :o) We have to catch up soon! Love you ♥
    Rachel C.

    ReplyDelete