Friday, November 18, 2011

A Job I Love



"I really love my job - God is good!" This was my Facebook status yesterday as I realized how much I enjoy my job. Here's a peak at what I get to do at Life Choices Center, the pregnancy center I work for:
  • Design Projects - I create posters, door signs, pens, postcards, letterhead, banners, that sweet table covering in the pictures up there, business cards, and other promotional pieces that help to let others know who we are. I love playing around with font, images, and colors, making each piece just right! How it all began: I was the yearbook editor in high school and loved designing pages!
  • Communications - My title is Communications Director, and I an responsible for letters, emails, newsletters, and connecting with our donors and supporters. I also do a lot on our Facebook page and website. How it all began: I took the initiative to write our family Christmas letter one year, and my roommate dubbed me Email Queen in college!
  • Events - I assist in planning and organizing fundraisers, volunteer fairs, and speaking engagements. The picture above in me and my co-worker, Micaela, at a volunteer fair at Binghamton University. We had students fill out a survey for us, gaining insight into what college students would need if they faced an unplanned pregnancy. How it all began: I led fundraisers all throughout high school and some during college, and I have always loved planning events for friends!
  • Pregnancy Tests - Much of my work is focused on our donors and supporters, but sometimes I get a break from that and interact with our clients. Many come in each week for a pregnancy test. A staff member or volunteer talks with them and is there when they take the test. I have been training to do these and did my first one on my own this past week! It's great to be a part of this primary work that we do and to support girls in this way. How it all began: I have always had a heart for people and enjoy being a listening ear.
There is always something new happening at Life Choices Center, and the variety keeps me moving. My co-workers are great, and my schedule is flexible. I have enjoyed reflecting on my past years and seeing how things I have done are now being used in this ministry. I look forward to continuing to allow the Lord to use me in this position, and I'm thanking Him for this job I love!

1 comment:

  1. It is so great to hear that you are enjoying what you are doing! I think when that is the case, the "job" no longer feels like a "job" and it is more a ministry when you really feel purpose in it and see how God has prepared you for it. Great, Laura! :)

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete