Saturday, January 14, 2012

Future Career?


When I was deciding what to do after graduation, my housemate, Katie, kept telling me stories about her student teaching. I secretly wished I had gone to school for teaching. At this point though, what would I teach? I wouldn't want to teach business, so that's when I thought it would be fun to be a home ec teacher!

I would try new recipes with the students, have a whole unit on crock pot cooking, teach some sewing/craft skills, and even use my business degree to discuss budgets and household management - it would be perfect! I did even take the time to look up information online and found a grad program in Washington State, but now that thought still just remains a dream.

In the mean time, I have been trying new recipes! I made my goal list for 2012, and one is "try 15 new recipes." A little more than one a month - totally doable! I'm ahead of the game as I have already tried three new ones.

I made Pear Bread the other day for my coworkers. It was something new and pretty tasty. Apparently my parents liked it too, because the leftover bread I brought home was gone the next day!

Yesterday, my friend, Sara, came over for lunch. We could have gone out to eat somewhere, but I suggested we make a new recipe together! We decided to make Spicy Fish Soup, and it was really yummy! It's very easy and quite delicious. Here's the recipe if you're interested:

2 cans (14.5 oz each) of chicken broth - I used bullion cubes and just realized I only did 16 oz total - oops!
2.5 cups of water
2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
1.5 cups salsa
1 package (10 oz) frozen corn - my bag was 16 oz, and we just used it all!
1 pound frozen cod, thawed and cut into 2-inch pieces - we used Tilapia

1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, water, and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the salsa and corn; return to a boil. Add fish.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Sara is at Binghamton University for grad work in education. We decided she can be my home ec assistant and write my lesson plans! She is a self-declared foodie, and food was our main topic of conversation over lunch. We tried our hand at some dessert too - another new recipe from the back of a bag of craisins. We made Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies - a mouthful to say, but not too bad to eat!

I may never really become a home ec teacher, but I do enjoy adding to my portfolio in case that day ever comes!

1 comment:

  1. If you don't want to go through the expense of getting a degree, you could just go around the country as a 'guest home ec instructor" - kind of like a consultant - and share one of your many recipes!

    ReplyDelete