Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rollerblading in January!


With the unusually warm weather this winter, Nate and I were able to use his Christmas present much sooner than we had thought.

We decided to get each other something for Christmas that we could use together. Back in October, I already knew what to get Nate!

Back in the summer, before we were dating, Nate and I went rollerblading with some friends on the Rail Trail. Nate has borrowed his dad's rollerblades and seemed to be fine for the whole two miles down, but when we turned around for the two miles back, he was struggling! Our friends went on ahead, but I hung back with Nate as he tried to get the rollerblades to cooperate. I was going so slow, and he was sweating bullets trying to keep up with me! I didn't know what was wrong - could he really be in that bad of shape that he can't rollerblade these four miles?

That's when Nate gave up trying to rollerblade and decided to just run with these awkward rollerblades on his feet! As I continued to slowly skate down the Rail Trail, I tried to keep from laughing - the whole thing was amusing!

Other people were laughing though, and Nate continued on despite their comments: "Well I've never seen that before!" coming from a lady walking as Nate was running in his rollerblades. And a little while later a little girl on a bike looked up and said, "That's not how you rollerblade!"

Nate and I ended up laughing about it, and he was a good sport. Something seemed wrong with the wheels on his dad's skates - they just would not move after the first two miles!

I rollerblade quite a bit, and I thought Nate would enjoy it if he had some skates that actually worked for him. So that's what I got him for Christmas - new rollerblades! We didn't think we would be able to use them until the spring, but today was warm enough to give his new skates a try - and he was able to keep up with me this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment