Sunday, January 8, 2012

Killing Deer - Multiple Deer


I went hunting with Nate toward the beginning of deer season. We drove to his grandma's farm, ate a huge lunch, and then sat out in the woods for about 3 hours. We saw some deer, but nothing worth shooting at. We came home with nothing, but I enjoyed my first hunting experience!

Since we didn't get a deer that time, I wanted to go again - I wanted to have the experience of actually getting a deer! We headed back to his grandma's a couple weeks later. After another yummy meal, we sat in the woods. It was cold. We hardly saw anything. It was getting dark, and I was getting hungry. But then we spotted a deer! We watched it come down closer and closer to us, and then another deer appeared!

I kept an eye on them in my binoculars, while Nate had them in the scope on his gun. I knew I was not allowed to talk, so I kept quiet, wondering if Nate would decide to shoot. Then all of a sudden - BOOM!!! With no warning my ears were blasted as Nate shot the gun. I still had the deer in view with the binoculars, and it was running! What?! Great - he missed. There were two deer to chose from, and he missed. However, the deer only ran a short ways, and then fell over. Dead.

We drove Nate's truck over to the deer. It was getting dark, but Nate got to work gutting it. Gross. It smelled. I was still hungry and feeling a little faint, so I wandered over to the truck looking for a snack. Nate still thinks I couldn't handle the gutting, but I claim that I was simply in need of some nutritional energy - he didn't know about my past history of fainting. I figured he didn't want to deal with me and the deer, so I found a granola bar to snack on while he finished the deer.

Tossing the deer in the truck, Nate was a bloody mess. That meant I had to drive the truck back to the house. The stick-shift truck that I had only driven two other times! I left it in first gear the whole time and really only had to deal with the clutch when I had to hit the breaks to avoid hitting some of his grandma's cows that would not move!

We made it safely back to the house, told our success story of the day, ate another meal, and headed back home. We were driving back roads at night and were blinded by another vehicle at one point. When we could see again, all we could see was a deer. In the middle of the road. About to be plowed over by Nate's truck. BOOM!!! For the second time that day, we killed a deer. Thrown to the side of the road, it was dead. Nate hated to see all that meat just sit on the side of the road, but we didn't have another tag to claim it. Thankfully, Nate's truck handled a deer just fine - if it had been my car, the deer could have been through the windshield and caused so much damage!

So there ya have it - my first successful hunting trip. Now Nate is asking about me getting my hunting license. I asked if that means I would have to gut my own deer - not sure I'm up for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment