Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Sweet Tooth


I celebrated the 4th with my friend, Heather. This seems to be becoming a tradition! We have gone to a number of parades and fireworks over the years - and don't forget the patriotic pancakes! We added a few more sweet treats to this year's menu, and had a fun holiday together!

I was in Maryland visiting family for the long weekend and was able to drive over to Virginia to visit Heather for two days. Her husband, Andrew, wasn't feeling too festive, so her new baby, Colston, and I brought some holiday fun to the house! I'm getting ahead of myself though - my first day there was Sunday, the 3rd of July. I met Heather and Andrew at their church, then we went out for lunch. As Andrew headed off to work, Heather, Colston, and I ventured off to find some delicious cupcakes! After taking a tour through DC and an additional scenic route, we made it to Georgetown, home to Georgetown Cupcake, know on TLC's show DC Cupcakes. Must be other people heard about these yummy cupcakes too, because we had to wait in line about an hour to get our cupcakes! We ended up with 6 different flavors - the strawberry was my favorite! This was just the beginning of our sweet tooth treats!

We got home and made chocolate covered strawberries - with blue sprinkles, of course! We used the leftover chocolate to made chocolate covered pretzels - with red and blue sprinkles! Heather and I ordered pizza for dinner and watched a chick flick. It was fun to spend time with her again and see her place in Virginia.

Monday morning, we made patriotic pancakes - red, white, and blue American flags, stars, fireworks, and even one that looked like the Washington Monument! Complete with a chocolate covered strawberry, it was a yummy breakfast! Our relaxing morning included starting to make some patriotic cake balls!

We grilled out for lunch and probably ate another cupcake, although I'm losing track of all these sweets! Heather and I went shopping in the afternoon - IKEA and an Old Navy Outlet! Very Fun! We also had to stop and get more chocolate for our cake balls. We finished making those after several attempts at melting chocolate, and the finished product got great reviews!

Colston was in a great mood Monday night - who wouldn't be? It's the Fourth of July! Heather and I played with him and got him laughing! He joined us for fireworks down by the river, and he was content the whole time! I think Heather and I split one more cupcake before I hit the road - and we're both aiming for more exercise in the weeks to come!

It was fun to spend another 4th with Heather! One of these years, we'll venture into DC for the parade or fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment