Friday, July 29, 2011

Meteor Shower


A few weeks ago, some friends from church headed up to Brown Mountain - our friends' home outside Binghamton. We had a bonfire in the evening, and I noticed the stars. I asked my friend, Nate, if you could usually see them well at his house. I had recently come across my list of goals, and 'watch a meteor shower' was on there. My house is not a good place to see the stars, so I needed to find a clear open place. Nate said his house would be good.

I looked online to find the next meteor shower, and a group of us headed back over to Brown Mountain last night to check out the shooting stars. It was cloudy and threatening rain, but we were hopeful! We headed out to the deck around midnight - to a sky full of clouds! We sat and talked for a while, and then a handful of stars appeared! We got excited and waited to see a star shoot across the sky. I was able to see two or three before the sky got cloudy again - it was fun to spot them!

I remember trying to watch meteor showers at camp when I was younger, but I always fell asleep before the action happened. I think this was the first meteor shower that I've watched. There's another one in August, and maybe the sky will stay clear a little longer for us then!

No comments:

Post a Comment