Monday, September 12, 2011

Our True Shelter

In church yesterday there was a song on the screen titled, "Made Me Glad." I immediately thought of the kids' song, "He has made me glad, He has made me glad, I will rejoice for He has made me glad!" and I wondered how they were expecting us to joyfully sing that after all that has happened in our area with the flooding and remembering that it was September 11th!

We did not end up singing the song together, but simply listened as the instruments played with the words displayed on the screen. After reading the words, I wished we had been singing the song together! The chorus was very fitting and a good reminder of who our hope rests in. Read some lyrics below, and listen to the whole song here.

You are my shield, my strength
My portion, deliverer
My shelter, strong tower
My very present help in time of need

Those words, "my shelter" really hit home as my earthly shelter has been taken from me for the time being. However, I have not been without shelter. The Lord has provided many friends in the area where I have been able to stay, and I have not been without a meal or clothing!

The verse at the top is Psalm 46:1, and that whole passage has stuck out to our family. My younger sister, Julie, is away at school in Pittsburgh. As soon as she found out about the flooding, she organized a prayer night on her campus. A friend of hers read Psalm 46, reminding us that God is mightier than anything that happens on earth, and we can rest in His strength. He is God and is in control!
We will continue to look to God during this time and thank Him for His provisions!

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing and comfort.
    He always sends us what we need when we need it.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete