Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Praying Life


I recently finished a book that my sisters gave me for graduation. It was interesting because I had just commented to a friend that I had been struggling with my prayer life, and the book Amy and Julie got me was A Praying Life by Paul Miller.

I was looking forward to reading the book, and a section in the beginning stuck out to me. Miller explained how prayer does not have to differ from a conversation with a friend. If you think about it, a conversation with a friend typically jumps from one topic to the next (and not necessarily with smooth transitions). I often get frustrated when I pray because my mind easily wanders, and I get off topic. However, that's okay. Miller reminds us that, "When it comes to prayer, we just need to get the words out."

Spending any time in prayer, even if it's random or interrupted, is better than spending no time talking to our Father. He wants to hear from us, so we just need to express what's on our heart!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book! I have the thoughts wandering problem as well so it was great to hear the encouragement to not beat yourself up about it. I also liked the idea of short prayer phrases repeated. Sometimes when you don't know how to pray, or you're in a situation where you want to keep Christ on your mind that helps to just pray without ceasing.

    ReplyDelete