Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Sunrise to Follow


I watched the sunset today at Cobbs Hill Park with some friends. As it was setting, all I could think about was my time in Rochester ending, just as sunset signifies the ending of another day. It has been a weekend full of goodbyes and endings as I pack up and prepare to move to Binghamton.

Today I said goodbye to friends at church. It was my last Sunday at Browncroft for a while, a place I have come to love and call home. I spoke to Pastor Rob at the end, expressing my appreciation for my time there. Afterward, it was a tearful drive to another friend's house, and we enjoyed a picnic lunch at Highland Park. We wandered the park, enjoyed our lunch, talked and reflected, and sent Mother's Day videos to our moms by the magnolia trees - it was such a pleasant afternoon!

Later, watching the sunset with a couple other friends was the perfect way to end such a memorable weekend, and as I reflected on my time in Rochester ending, I thought about the new chapter beginning. Last night I began reading a book that my sisters gave me for graduation - Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung. It's about finding God's will. Here's a section from chapter two:

"God is not a Magic 8-Ball we shake up and peer into whenever we have a decision to make. He is a good God who gives us brains, shows us the way of obedience, and invites us to take risks for Him. We know God has a plan for our lives. That's wonderful. The problem is we think He's going to tell us the wonderful plan before it unfolds. We feel like we can know - and need to know - what God wants every step of the way. But such preoccupation with finding God's will, as well intentioned as the desire may be, is more folly than freedom. The better way is the Biblical way: Seek first the kingdom of God, and then trust that He will take care of our needs, even before we know what they are and where we're going."

While I have a job and a place to live in Binghamton, there are still a lot of unknowns about this next step in my life. After the sun set tonight, we commented that the same sun would rise tomorrow morning. I am trusting that God has a beautiful sunrise ready for me as I begin my journey in Binghamton! I don't know what it will look like, but that's the fun in watching the sunrise - they are new and different every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment