Friday, May 21, 2010

Guatemala

2 summers ago I went on a trip to Guatemala. I went with a group from school - although it was mostly alumni that went. It was such a good experience to be outside of the country, to serve the people of Santa Cruz, and to spend time with the children.

The girl in the picture is Salena. She would find me every day and give me the biggest smile. She held my hand as we walked around her village, and she showed me her church and other things important to her. I had somewhat of a conversation with her with the little Spanish I knew. I found out about her family and other things - I wish I had my journal with me, so I could tell you more about her!

I bring this picture and topic up now because the team from Roberts is leaving tomorrow for a week of ministry. Our SIFE Team has taken a trip down for the last 6 years. This is number 7, and the last trip to this village. We have helped them grow ecomonically and helped improve their education. We do not want them to have to depend on us, but rather be sustainable on their own. We have seen much improvement since first coming to the little village.

I got to be part of a special trip as we took the Junior Highers outside of their village for the first time to their capital city - Guatemala City. We took them to the zoo, the library, the mall, on a ferris wheel, to a movie, to Pizza Hut, and more! It was a great time to give them a vision for their future.

I will definitely be thinking and praying for the team as they are in Santa Cruz, Guatemala this week. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories of how the Lord will use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment