Friday, May 28, 2010

Missy's Long Life

This is our puppy, Missy, when we first brought her home - almost 15 years ago! She's so little in between all of us there. Well, I got some sad news today - that she had to be put down. She hasn't been doing well this past week, and we all knew it was just a matter of time. She was going to come up with my family and visit me this weekend. This afternoon I had missed a call from my sister, Julie, while I was riding my bike. I called her right back, and in tears she said, "Missy's not doing good." She explained that she had been doing really well since going on the medicine and was even pretty perky, so Julie decided to talk her for a walk. She did great on the walk and had lots of energy. However, once she got home her legs went out from under her in the back room of our house. She struggled and could not get back up until she was on the carpet. Later, when she was outside, the same thing happened - she struggled for about 5 minutes to get up and her eyes rolled to the back of her head and went side to side. She ended up rolling into a flower bed. My parents both took her to the vet. Sadly, Julie had to work so was unable to go. The vet said there was nothing more he could do for her medically, so they decided it was time.

I didn't think it would be this hard on me, but I am in tears as I write this. My mom said it was hard to see her go like that - struggling and such. She pictured us being in control and deciding when to take her in. I'm sad I will not be able to see her one last time this weekend : (

I remember when we first got Missy - I would have been 6. She had a brother that we took outside with us to decide which one we would take home. He had the squirts though, so we chose Missy! I remember she was $30 - and I thought to myself, "I have that much, I could buy her!" Missy has always been good around kids, and my grandpa loved her! I know she will be missed in my family. It just won't be the same walking into the house and not having to look for Missy.

Here is me playing with Missy and a stuffed animal. Check out my post on Monday, May 24 for more recent pictures of her : )

No comments:

Post a Comment