Saturday, April 2, 2011

Expectations: Friendships


This is the Japanese symbol for friendship. I have been thinking about friendships lately and the expectations I had freshman year.

I have blogged before about my struggle to form solid friendships during my first few years at Roberts. I had high expectations coming into freshman year, thinking I would make all these great new friends! I have a few friends from freshman year, but most have fallen away over the years.

Eventually, the Lord answered my prayers and blessed me with many many friends in Rochester! Many of whom I have learned from and grown with spiritually. I have a full social life and many memories with lots of friends!

I am, however, leaving Rochester after graduation. I took a job back home in Binghamton where I have about two friends left from high school. Here we go all over again - my next big step and seeking to form new friendships again. I am taking the lesson I learned last time and trying to not place high expectations on creating solid relationships quickly. I understand that this takes time, and I will need to be patient as friendships form.

I hope to get involved with a church that offers programs for young adults. Some of my new co-workers are my age, so I am looking forward to getting to know them. I am also going to look into kickball or volleyball leagues similar to the one I participated in last summer in Rochester. I am hoping to meet new people my age and find fun activities to do in Binghamton.

It's my desire to keep in touch with friends from Rochester, but I understand the importance of having friends that are able to be with you on a weekly basis. I do not know what I can expect of forming friendships in Binghamton, but the Lord knows my needs and desires of my heart. I will wait patiently on Him and be thankful for the friends I currently have and hope to keep in touch with in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment