Thursday, September 16, 2010

Friendship Expectations


I had high expectations coming into college, and I was greatly disappointed freshman year. I was ready to makes lots of new, close, lifelong friends and make memories throughout my years of college. I expected to find a close group of girl friends who would be spiritually encouraging. Instead, my roommate made very different lifestyle choices than me, but I was under the impression that you should be best friends with your roommate, so I put a lot of effort into a relationship that did not go both ways. She has since defriended me on Facebook.

Second semester I realized there were other girls on campus to be friends with! I spent a lot of time with 2 girls down the hall. We took a roadtrip in the middle of a snowstorm to be there as one of the girl's moms had a baby - those were the memories I was looking for! We became quite the three-some, and I was happy with my new friends who's standards were closer to mine. We were neighbors in the dorms the following year. However, a series of events lead to a slow drifting of the friendship at the end of Sophomore year, and we did not talk much Junior year. My desire for close, lifelong friends was still not a reality.

All that to say, college friendships were not what I was expecting, and I struggled to understand why it was so hard to develop close, meaningful relationships. As I begin my senior year and reflect on the friendships I do have, I am thankful for the ways God has provided. I have some close friends through SIFE and the business department, I am roomming with my roommate for the second year in a row, and I have formed relationships with young adults at church. My calendar is full of social activities, and I am encouraged by those around me on a daily basis. Friends have come and gone over the years, but I am learning to be thankful for the friendships the Lord has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment