Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Learning from Others


Back in April, I made it a goal to shadow 3 people. I shadowed someone at Roberts back in May, with the hopes of finding 2 more this semester.

For one of my classes, we got to pick a topic we wanted to learn more about and decide ways to make that happen. I chose to learn more about grant writing by checking out websites, reading a book, writing grants, and shadowing or interviewing people.

I have made several connections by way of friends who know grant writers. Tonight I had a phone conversation with a Roberts alum named Bethany. She now works for an organization down in Philly as the executive director and does a lot of grant writing. She gave me insight into her experiences, sharing about topics not usually covered in grant writing workshops such as budgets and reporting afterwards. She said the number one important thing about grant writing is attention to detail - a strength of mine! Bethany also gave me ideas of where to go when I'm thinking about looking for a job.

I was thankful for the time Bethany gave to talk to me. She shared some websites with me and gave me the name of someone to talk to up here at another organization. She gave me some good tips and information to think about.

I am looking forward to learning more as I find others to shadow or interview.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just wanted to let you know that my uncle was actually a grant-writer for awhile. It was more in the medical/science field...but if you're looking for more info i'm sure he'd be willing to talk to you. Obviously you might be looking for something different...which is cool. Just thought i'd let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to get his contact information from you, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete