Monday, October 18, 2010

Shadow Experience


Today I shadowed a woman named Shaunta - which means I met my goal of shadowing 3 people! Shaunta works for Volunteers of America in Rochester (and does work in the Binghamton area as well!). Her title is Communications and Special Events Manager. I was interested in spending time with her as she is involved with fundraising and has a background in grant writing.

I spent 2 hours with Shaunta, talking about the 5 main fundraising events and campaigns she helps with. The yearly golf tournament brings in about $80,000, and another event brings in around $65,000. Over 20,000 people donate to VOA, and Shaunta builds relationships in the community to make sure the donations continue. Shaunta shared that is a key to success in fundraising - building relationships with donors.

We also chatted about grant writing a little bit, as well as a job opportunity! Shaunta explained that they were looking to add a volunteer coordinator to recuirt and maintain the volunteers they work with. I told her I wasn't graduating until May, but gave her my resume. I'm hoping the connections I am making this semester will help when it comes time to secure a job. I am learning a lot as I shadow people, and I will continue to network and see where I might best fit after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment