Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Building Trust

Today in class we talked about trust. At the beginning of class, without knowing what I was getting myself into, I volunteered to help out with something later on. The professor ended up pulling 6 people from the class to do a trust fall with me - and this didn't end up being your usual trust fall. We did it 3 times:

1) To start, I stood on the table as my catchers had their arms interlocked ready to catch. I alerted them of my falling and fell backwards, screaming on my way down.

2) Next, my catchers had to begin with their arms at their sides. Once I said I was falling they could move their arms toward each other. I did not scream as I fell this time, and they caught me without a problem.

3) At this point, my professor tells my catchers to take 2 steps back. I'm staring at an empty floor as I look down from the table. They are not allowed to move until I say I am falling. I turn my back toward them and tell them I'm falling. Without screaming again, I fall backwards into the arms of my trusty classmates!

If we had started out with fall #3, I don't think I would have had enough confidence in my friends - I was able to build a trust with them over time. They proved they could catch me the first two times, so I trusted they would catch me even though they started farther away the third time. It's important to take the time to build trust in order to have confidence in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment