Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Open Door Mission



I don't know downtown Rochester very well, and tonight proved that fact! Since there was a congregational meeting tonight at church, our Bible study did not meet. However, we were encouraged to serve at the Open Door Mission - something GAP does every other Tuesday night. We were supposed to meet at 7:15, but I was driving up and down Main Street looking for the place. Finally, I found a parking spot and called the girl in charge - there was no answer. I called another girl who I knew would be there - AGAIN, no answer! I decided I would just head back home, then I got a call back from the first girl. She tried to explain to me where the place was, so I went around again - still nothing. I decided to park my car and walk around. (Walking around downtown, alone, at night - maybe not the best idea!) By this time it is a little after 7:45 and I get another phone call from the second girl I tried calling. She gave me further directions and confirmed I was walking the right way. I made it to the Open Door Mission just at 8:00 when they were closing the doors! (I should have turned the OTHER way on Main Street!)

I missed helping prep for the meal, but got there in time for singing and the message. It is mostly homeless people who come, and if they are there for the church service they get a free meal afterwards. I helped plate up chicken, rice, veggies, and bread.

It was a good time of serving - once I found the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment