Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Answered Prayer


Part of the team hiking Pacaya - an active volcano!

Two summers ago I went to Guatemala - my first time out of the country and my first missions trip. When the trip was first discussed at a SIFE meeting, I through away the paperwork thinking, "I don't know any of these people well enough to travel to another country with them! Maybe another year." Well, for some reason, a couple months later, that trip came back to my mind, and I was prompted to e-mail another student who I knew had been on the trip before. I asked if there was still room on the trip and who I should contact for more information. She gave me the name of someone in the business department, and I got in touch. Next thing I knew I was calling my mom 3 times a day to discuss the idea and figuring out a passport, etc. I prayed a lot about it, but the deadline was coming up so I had to decide fast. Not knowing what I was getting into I signed up for the trip and handed in my deposit! That week there was a meeting with the team to discuss shots, paperwork, and to get to know each other. I went to the meeting, and practically everybody was Roberts alumni! There was only one other student going on the trip - he was a sophomore, and I was a freshman. This was going to be an experience! We saw very little of each other before heading separate ways for the summer. I raised money and gathered donated items to take on the trip. Mid-August I drove up to Rochester and met with the team once again as we prepared to head out.

All that to say, I signed up for this trip not knowing who was going to be on the team. Just before leaving for Rochester, my youth pastor's wife from church asked if there was anything specific she could be praying for while I was on the trip. I asked that she pray I would quickly feel comfortable around the team, as they were older than me, and I did not know any of them.

Well, the Lord sure answers prayer! At the end of the week, our team was having a discussion and I shared the concern I had come into the trip with, ending with how thankful I was that I had quickly gotten to know the team and really appreciated being part of it. One team member later mentioned to me how much he thought I was one of the most outgoing of the group - always trying to include others and get to know them. What an encouragement that was!

Overall, the trip gave me more confidence in new situations. I am thankful I had the opportunity to go with a team I hardly knew. I have kept in touch - somewhat - with a handful of the members, and the trip will always hold a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment