Thursday, June 16, 2011

Africa Night


My friend, Hannah, spent a semester in Tanzania, Africa. She came over tonight and cooked a meal for us and shared pictures and stories from her experiences. Above is my mom, myself, Hannah, and our friend, Ashlee. I'll let Hannah tell you about what we're wearing and what she cooked for us!

Thank you, Laura. With that introduction I feel like I should be hearing an applause and entering the stage on Oprah :D

In the photo above we are wearing a traditional African cloth called a "khanga." It is worn like a wrap skirt. At the bottom of the khangas there are sayings in Swahili, usually related to friendship and/or God. For example, Laura's says, "Ninakushukuru kwa wema wako" which means, "thank you for your goodness." I brought this back in particular for Laura as the woman who I bought it from said it would make a great gift for a friend. :)

For the meal I cooked chicken curry (with rice, pineapple, and peanuts), chapatis, chips-mi-ai, and chai. (For the curious George's, chapatis are like a tortilla but much thicker. I also added finely sliced onions, peppers, and shredded carrots into the batter). The chicken curry and chapatis are not native to Tanzania but are still commonly eaten, especially in Zanzibar which is an island off the coast of Tanzania and part of the country of Tanzania. The chips-mi-ai, which consists of potatoes and eggs, is eaten by most anyone in Tanzania whether in town or in the village. I also made chai after the meal with actual black tea from a tea plantation in Tanzania.

After the meal I shared pictures and stories from my trip and answered a lot of questions from my attentive audience. :) Sharing about Africa sure makes me miss it, but I am reminded every time what an incredible experience it was and how fortunate and blessed I was to be there.

Can you tell by the picture who cooked the meal? Hint: We are the African looking ones in the middle with the barefeet and distressed hair due to slaving over the meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment