Saturday, June 18, 2011

Strawberry Festival


A town near me has a Strawberry Festival every year. In fact, this year was their 31st one, and I had never been! (Okay, after talking to my sister, apparently I went when I was really little. I do not remember a thing, so I'm not counting that!) This year, I decided to grab a few other friends, who had also never been to the Strawberry Fest after living in the area for their entire lives, and headed on over to Owego!

Now, I read a little about this festival, and I was pumped to check out the duck race I kept reading about. My friends and I made a point to be there by 4:00 to catch the ducks in action. We walked all along the river, looking for ducks and asking others if they knew where the duck race was. No one had a clue what we were talking about. It was nearing 4:00, and we finally spotted some ducks! Only to realize that the rubber ducks in the bin were what would be racing down the river. Yes. They dumped a bunch of rubber duckies off the bridge, let them ride with the current, and called it a duck race. Not exactly what we had in mind, but it made for an entertaining twenty minutes! Here are the racing ducks:

After the disappointing duck race, we browsed around to see what this Strawberry Fest was all about. We hardly saw any strawberries, but enjoyed some live music, lemonade, and a free funnel cake - it's all about who you know! We were about to catch the shuttle back to our cars when the guys spotted these monkeys! Jon and Mike, two friends from the young adult group at church, were so excited about these! Jon was the closet one to eating strawberries at the Strawberry Fest because he got the strawberry, cherry, kiwi drink inside his monkey. I think finding these at the end of the day made up for the lack of live ducks earlier - and now Jon and Mike have something to always remember their very first Strawberry Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment