Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cooking Challenge: Pork Chops and Orange Cranberry-Nut Bread


I introduced my cooking challenge from a friend in a recent post, and tonight, my mom and I cooked dinner together for ourselves and my dad. We tried two new recipes and enjoyed a yummy meal!

1. Pork Chops with Herbed Cream Sauce - Delicious and so easy! We only made half the recipe, and I wish we had made it all because I definitely would have eaten more! We simply cooked the pork chops in a frying pan and drizzled the creamy sauce over them.

2. Orange Cranberry-Nut Bread - This was a crock pot recipe. Very easy and very good! We have been using the crock pot a lot lately, and I'm constantly washing it so we can use it again! I had never made bread in it before, and now I want to try the banana bread recipe!

What I Learned: Sometimes substitutes are necessary. We wanted to make the orange cranberry bread, but it called for dried orange peel. We didn't exactly know what that meant, and we didn't even have any oranges to grate an orange peel. So what did we do? Googled it, of course! We had some orange extract, so I found the substitute equivalent, and we were set.
While we didn't have to substitute anything in the pork chop recipe, there were options for one ingredient. For the cream sauce, I could have used dried basil, thyme, or tarragon. I grabbed the first one I saw and used thyme. I'll have to try a different herb the next time I make them! (I guess I technically did substitute with this recipe too when I used dried parsley instead of fresh. My mom estimated using 1 teaspoon of dried for each tablespoon of fresh the recipe called for.)

While I was at school, I cooked for groups of friends on occasion, but I mostly prepared meals for just myself, so it has been fun being able to cook for more. My parents are regularly home for dinner and are always up for a new dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment