Friday, June 10, 2011

Papers of the Past


I had a bonfire with friends last night. This was a much needed bonfire.

I called my friend, Brittany, the last week of school to see if I could have a bonfire at her place when I got back home. I had a few papers (okay, it was an entire binder full!) that I needed to get rid of - old memories that would have only made things worse if I looked through them again. I didn't want to just throw them in a recycling bin, but I knew I had to get rid of them soon! Thankfully, Brittany was up for a bonfire, so I brought this whole binder home with me, knowing I had to get rid of it once and for all!

After a some-what stressful afternoon of events, another friend, Hannah, and I made it down to Brittany's for this long-anticipated bonfire. Brittany prepped the logs and got the fire going. She eventually gave me the cue to start tossing my papers of the past into the fire. I started off slow, but then started placing in bigger and bigger groups of pages. The fire caused the white pages to curl, and the flames played along the edges. I didn't really think much about what was written on those papers, but I knew this was a big step in letting go of something that I had hung onto for way too long. I felt accomplished as I tossed the last pages into the fire, those words never to be read again.

I was glad to share that bonfire with two good friends last night. We had a relaxing evening together, and they confirmed that burning those papers was what I needed to do. They will now always remain papers of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment