Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Another Collection


These coins are from the Bahamas. I have a foreign coin collection that has slowly grown since my freshman year of college. Coins have kind of always fascinated me - their different colors, sizes, pictures, even shapes for some!

I traveled to Guatemala the summer after my freshman year of college. While there, I made sure to collect one of each of their coins. At the end of the trip, while waiting in the airport, a team member and I found a tip jar - full of coins from a ton of different countries! We weren't sure of the exchange rates, so we just put some of our US money in and took the interesting coins that we could find - the sales associate didn't really seem to mind, and we were just overwhelmed by all the countries we were finding! We had coins from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Brazil, Columbia, the Philippines, Panama, and Helvectica - ever heard of that one? We thought we were satisfied and went back to wait with our group, comparing the coins we had just collected. Of course, he had interesting ones that I hadn't seen, and I had some rare ones, so we headed back to the tip jar to look for more!

I think that's where my coin collecting started.

I now collect coins in a more appropriate manor than just scavenging through someone else's tip jar! I ask friends and family who travel outside of the country to bring back some coins for me. This has added Jamaica, England, Australia, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, and countries in Africa to my collection. It's fun to look through them and think of all those different countries out there.

Besides the Bahamas, I was able to recently add coins from Ecuador to my collection! And of course, I have Canada and some rare US coins. It's always fun to collect something, and I'd say I have a little over 100 different coins!

No comments:

Post a Comment