Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Whose Goals?


Tonight at Bible study we wrapped up our study on success. The last chapter was on persistence and why that is required for completing goals. One section talked about coming up against discouragement, failures, mistakes, and weariness. Then the study posed the following question: "What did you do to renew your motivation to pursue your goals in life?" That got me thinking back to the end of sophomore year.

At the end of sophomore year I was offered a lot of leadership positions on campus. Being the people pleaser that I was, I didn't want to say no to any of them - that would be letting someone down. However, I knew I couldn't do everything, so I tried to decide what I wanted to do, or rather what everyone else would want me to do. In the end, I said no to everything and left campus that semester not even knowing if I wanted to come back for junior year in the fall. I was discouraged, worn out from trying to please everybody, confused, and feeling life a failure since I let everyone down. That was not the greatest summer of my life.

I did decide to come back to Roberts, and slowly I have become thankful I made that decision. Looking back, I have learned a lot from the situation. Go back to the question and notice the part where is says, "...pursue your goals in life?" That was the key part I had been missing out on! I was too busy running around doing what everyone else thought I should be doing with my life - I hadn't taken the time to think about what I wanted to pursue.

At the end of last year, I made a list of MY goals. I have learned how to carefully say yes to responsibilities and projects. I have renewed my focus and have a better understanding of where to place my efforts. I spent a lot of time in prayer, discerning what the Lord would have me focus on. I also look at the motives behind doing what I do. What a difference it has made to think about my goals and desires, not in a selfish way, but in a way that brings more genuineness to what I am involved in.

I challenge you to think about what you are involved in and really examine why you place you efforts into the activities you do. Make sure you are doing what you want for you and not just doing what others have said you should be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment