Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Procrastinating Perfectionist


Last night at Bible Study, we talked about roadblocks that get in the way of success. One section mentioned that perfectionists tend to procrastinate. I usually consider myself a perfection, but I am in no way a procrastinator! I had to think about the idea for a minute before I could relate to it. Our book says, "The perfectionist often procrastinates from undertaking projects because he anticipates the possibility of failure or the inevitability of falling short of perfection."

Two years ago at a leaders meeting for SIFE, we were discussing our projects and goals we had made for them. The project I had worked on exceeded our goal, and we celebrated that fact. However, it got me thinking about my own life - I was not in the habbit of creating goals. I realized it was because I was scared of not accomplishing what I set out to do. It was either meet the goal or fail. However, I failed to realize there is a middle ground that must be considered. Even if the goal is not accomplished, the steps made to attempt the goal were productive - it's not a complete failure because if you gave it a try you accomplished something.
I now have a list of over 50 goals. I no longer want to be a procrastinator just thinking about activities I want to accomplish - it's time to start thinking about doing them! The perfectionist in me wants to accomplish every single one of the items on my list. However, I must realize, I am not a failure if I am not able to complete the list, but I should be thankful for the incentive it gave me to get out there and try new things, meet new people, and create new memories.

2 comments:

  1. as i read this...i had to remind myself that i didn't write it lol. it applies SO MUCH to me too! Failure terrifies me. And when perfection is your standard, failure is inevitable.
    Something i'm still wrestling with...thanks for this! love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to relate, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete