Monday, September 27, 2010

SIFE Projects


The semester is well under way and SIFE is keeping me busy! I am involved in a number of different ways this year:

1) Financial Freedom Workshops - We provide workshops on money management for freshman classes. I headed this up my sophomore year and enjoyed the interaction with professors and students. This year, we updated the curriculum to use some videos our team created last year showing the dangers of credit cards, the importance of emergency money, and why budgets are good to follow. I was able to recruit a good team to present to the 10 classes that have signed up for workshops. Our first one is this week!

2) Rotaract President - The local Rotary Club meets on our campus on Wednesday mornings. They are like a SIFE team for adults, so have partnered with us on various projects. I am the Rotaract President, acting as the liason between their group and our SIFE team. I wake up at 6:15am on Wednesday to have breakfast with the group. I have had another SIFE student join me each week, so it's been nice to get others involved.

3) Grant Writing - I am interested in learning more about grant writing, so I offered to help write some grants for SIFE this year. I have completed a grant that is ready to be reviewed. I hope to find 2 more to write up this semester.

I have been involved in SIFE since freshman year. It has given me real-world experiences, built my leadership skills, and allowed me to travel and form great friendships. I am looking forward to another great year in SIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment