Monday, September 6, 2010

A Garden of Friends


I just re-read another book - The Friendship of Women by Dee Brestin. I received this book 2 years ago for Christmas, and loved it when I read it then and apprecited reading it the second time around!

The point I related to most in the book was introduced in the first chapter. The author compares friendships to flowers, pointing out that some are annual and some are perennial. Annual flowers bloom for a year then don't come back, whereas perennials come back year after year. There are friends in life who are only part of your life for a season, and some who come back year after year.

Coming to college, I have definitely seen that be the case. Sometimes you are only friends with someone for the time you are in class together. I was friends with girls freshman year who I don't talk to any more, but they were the ones I made memories with for that part of my life. Since I went to a small school 1-12 grade, I was used to always having the same friends. The concept of annual friends was new to me, and it was hard to see friendships die. However, I have realized that is part of life, and they are still healthy friendships.
I am thankful for my garden of friends - the handful of perennials that the Lord has blessed me with year after year, and the annuals who have come and gone, sharing in my life for just a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment