Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ecuador Trip


I had a meeting tonight for a trip to Ecuador! I had been thinking it would be neat to go on a missions trip during my February Break - really, my last long break before entering the working world. I went to the chapel that introduced all the trips, but none of them struck me, so I figured it wasn't meant to be.

Mid-October I was at church and there was an announcement for a trip to Ecuador in February 2011. I contacted someone to get more information, hoping the dates would line up with my February Break - and they do! I went to the next interest meeting and met more of the team members.

At this point, I have filled out the application and am making steps forward to join them on this trip, February 19-27. We will be building a house, conducting VBS for a school and orphange, leading worship nights and sharing testimonies, and running a soccer clinic. I believe my gifts, abilities, and interests line up with what we will be doing on the trip, and I am excited to see how the Lord can use our team.

I am also excited because the missionaries we are ministering to, the DiCrastos, are part of Mission Aviation Fellowship - the same organization Nate Saint and Jim Elliot were part of. These were 2 of the 5 missionaries who were speared in the 50's by the Auca indians. Their families later went back to minister to this people group, and since then, the men who speared them have come to know the Lord. There is a movie and a book that share this story: End of the Spear. I've recently read the book, and have always appreciated the story, so I am excited to go see their homebase.

As you think of it, be praying for this trip - that our team would effectively bond as a group as we plan for our time in Ecuador, and that my funds for the trip would be covered. I have to provide $1,500 for my food, lodging, and transportation, as well as supplies for the building project. I am excited to share this opportunity with family and friends, and pray the Lord would lead them to join me in this endevour.

No comments:

Post a Comment