Thursday, November 11, 2010

Learning to Say No


I have slowly been learning an important lesson: how to say "No." I love being active and involved in activities, but it's important to know when there is enough on your plate.

Lately, there have been two instances when I've decided to say "No." to an activity:

1. Bible Study - I go to Bible study with people from my church every Tuesday night. A few weeks ago, I had just come back to Rochester from a trip to Pittsburgh. I had slept in a different bed 5 nights in a row, I had projects and papers to work on, and I was exhausted. I let the leader know I would not be coming, and took the night off to get work done and relax. I am so glad I didn't pretend I was Super Woman by going to Bible study that night as I felt so refreshed the next morning and had a great rest of the week!

2. Buffalo with Friends - I was planning on heading over to Buffalo tonight to go to the Chocolate Bar with two friends from high school. However, while I was at work I just began feeling drained and was dreading the hour drive to Buffalo and the late night home. It was hard, but I called my friend and said I wouldn't be joining them. It's that point in the semester where there is so much work piling up, and I need to be sure to get my rest.

I love spending time with people and taking part in fun activities, but I am beginning to understand what I need and saying "No." when I just need a break to recharge. I almost said "No." to a blog post tonight, but thought it was an important lesson to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment