Saturday, November 6, 2010

Jell-O Museum


My friend, Brittany, came to visit me for the weekend! She is going to be a guest blogger for today's post.

Laura's First Suggested Sentence for Brittany: I have no idea what to write, and I am so stumped as to what to write that will live up to Laura's high blogging standards.

Brittany's First Suggested Sentence: I would like to thank my mother, father, and the Academy for the high honor of being asked to blog for Laura on this esteemed website...

Either way, the moral of the story is that today we had a WONDERFUL plan for the day: sleep in, go swimming at the pool, make some pancakes for lunch, and then hit up the Jell-O Museum and finish off with good ole' fashioned Garbage Plates for dinner. MOST of those things went as planned. The pool was closed for the day, so we skipped that and went right to pancakes. After a yummy Brunch of sorts we were off to the Museum, mapquest directions in hand. That's where the adventure starts - apparently mapquest isn't as reliable as we thought, and we ended up 19 miles in the wrong directions. We called, and the woman at the museum was VERY concerned about how far away we were - so she gave us directions, and we were back on our way.

We got to the museum and soon discovered that the woman on the phone was none other than 4'10'' Ruth - walking talking Jell-O Droid. We were greeted with this phrase "Thank-you-for-coming-to-the-Jell-O-Museum-if-you-would-like-to-enter-the-museum-there-is-a-fee-of-$4,-the-tour-has-already-begun-but-you-can-make-your-way-downstairs-to-the-transportation-museum-which-I-think-you-will-greatly-enjoy-until-it-is-time-for-the-next-group." Little did we know that she could say that speech in her sleep and would repeat it for every guest who arrived during our time there. We also had the privilege of having her as our tour guide. She lead the tour (which didn't actually move from the starting location) flawlessly - and without emotion. Other key phrases from Ruth included "I hope I've "wiggled" your enthusiasm for Jell-O" and "His name was Pearl - can you believe that?" She was busting out puns left and right, all with the inflection of a toy doll. We were also joined by a woman who almost cried for joy at being at the Jell-O Museum, and an episcopalian priest who just happened to be candidating at Ruth's church. And no. I'm not making this up.


The museum was pretty standard - what you'd expect from a small-town museum about Jell-O, but did feature a dvd (on a 12x12 screen) of old Jell-O commercials. Laura and I enjoyed wandering around the museum and looking at old ads and kind of chuckling at the quaintness of it all. It was a fun little adventure and a great way to spend the afternoon here at Rochester!
We finished off the day with Garbage Plates (which now that I've been introduced to I have a tendency to crave every once in awhile) and are looking forward to spending the evening together. I'm so glad I was able to spend the weekend here with Laura and catch up on each other's Fall. Plus, I now have one more thing to add to my "little-known-facts about me" list - I've been to the Jell-O Museum!

P.S. Did you know that the human brain has some of the same properties as Jell-O? Strange but true!

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh so hard!! I can't believe the priest went to the museum!! what a story! :)

    ReplyDelete