Friday, November 19, 2010

New Job


I switched up my schedule and was able to start a new job on campus - while keeping my other 2! This opportunity came through working on grants this semester. I have been meeting with a lady in the Development Office, named Kelly, to discuss grants, and she mentioned they were creating a new position for a student to help with grants. I was very interested, and she later contacted me about the specifics of the job. I ended up meeting in the President's Office to talk about the grants I was working on and the possibility of working with Kelly - I had never been in his office before! Kelly was offering me 6 hours a week, hoping I could start this semester. I was able to work out giving her 3 hours a week for the rest of the semester, then working the full 6 next semester. I will drop one of my other jobs, but continue in HR and work at my internship.

I went in for training on Monday, and today was my first full day in Development. I am bascially researching grants and foundations. I organize important information I gather into a spreadsheet, such as deadlines, past funding, and contact information. Kelly said I would also be helping with the new policy and procedures manual. I'm not sure I'll be doing any actual grant writing, but more of the behind the scenes of preparing to write a grant. I think it's a great learning opportunity for me and a definite resume builder!

No comments:

Post a Comment